Schwartz Athletic Center
The Schwartz Athletic Center is
home to the majority of Wells athletic facilities. Located within
the Athletic Center is the Frances Tarlton Farenthold Athletic
Wing, the Wells College aquatic center, a fitness center, three
newly-renovated locker rooms, a team room, an auxiliary gymnasium,
dance studio and athletic administration offices.
Originally constructed in 1956 and built for a cost of $768,000, the facility has undergone numerous renovations and improvements over the years. Originally opened as the "Wells College Student Union", the facility was renamed as the Herman and Margaret Schwartz Student Union in 1986. Herman Schwartz, a Wells trustee since 1978, endowed a maintenance fund for the building and his gift was recognized with the renaming of the facility in honor of him and his wife, Margaret.