Men's Soccer Starts Season With Draw Against Keystone

Men's Soccer Starts Season With Draw Against Keystone

The Wells College men's soccer team started its 2016 season with an action-packed 1-1 draw at home against Keystone College. Wells took a first-half lead, held the advantage for most of the game, and saw Keystone score the equalizing goal in the final five minutes of the second half. Both teams created chances in overtime, but neither converted.

During a back-and-forth first half, each side had runs of possession and scoring opportunities. The best stretch of the game for Wells came in the final 10 minutes of the first half and the creativity and passing resulted in the first goal of the game. A through-ball for Wells found striker Christian Garavito who beat the back line of Keystone and chipped the ball around the goalkeeper. That forced the Keystone goalkeeper to foul Garavito in the box on the scoring attempt. A penalty kick was awarded, and Keystone's keeper received a red card. Garavito stepped to the spot and converted the penalty against substitute goalkeeper Malcom Moreira.

Despite playing with 10 men, Keystone held possession for most of the second half. The Knights had several chances turned away by Wells goalkeeper Owen May. His best save of the match came on a hard, low shot through a Wells defensive wall, that May slid to his side and saved with his legs.

The equalizing goal for Keystone came off a series of deflected passes in the penalty area. It eventually fell to Kouassi Kouadio who scored on an assist from Massimo Lahey.

Wells had six total shots in overtime and Keystone had four.

The Express earned 10 corner kicks in the match and Keystone had seven. Six yellow cards were issued in the match in addition to the red card against Keystone. Four yellows went to the Knights, and two Wells players saw yellow cards. The teams commiteed 26 fouls.

Wells returns to action Saturday at home against Hilbert College. The game will begin at 4 p.m.